Forestry and Wood Technology Discipline Khulna University, Khulna-9208
Md. Salim Azad
MSc in Forestry, George-August University, Göttingen, Germany
MSc in Forestry, University of Copenhagen, DenmarkMSc in Forestry, Khulna University, Bangladesh
Climate change and species adaptation, forest degradation, disturbances and floristic composition, biodiversity, natural regeneration, phenology and morphology of mangroves, Seed germination and seedling growth.
Current Research Project/Collaboration
|SL||Title||Research Role||Awarded Date||Completion Date||Funding Agency|
|No Research Project Available|
|SL||Title||Degree||Role||Start Date||End Date|
|No Supervision Available|
A. Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
1. Azad MS, Mollick AS, Ranon RJK, Khan MNI, Kamruzzaman M. 2022. Plasticity of leaf morphology of Bruguiera sexangula to salinity zones in Bangladesh’s Sundarbans. Journal of Forestry Research, 33, 1857–1866. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11676-022-01470-9
2. Ahmed S, Kamruzzaman M, Rahman MS, Sakib N, Azad MS, Dey T. 2022. Stand structure and carbon storage of a young mangrove plantation forest in coastal area of Bangladesh: The promise of a natural solution. Nature-Based Solutions, 2 (2022), 100025. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nbsj.2022.100025
3. Azad MS, Mollick AS, Setu FA, Khan MNI, Kamruzzaman M. 2022. Stand structure, tree species diversity, and leaf morphological plasticity in Xylocarpus mekongensis Pierre among salinity zones in the Sundarbans, Bangladesh. Journal of Asia-Pacific Biodiversity, 15(3):414-424.
4. Islam MR, Azad MS, Mollick AS, Kamruzzaman M, Khan MNI. 2021. Allometric equations for estimating stem biomass of Artocarpus chaplasha Roxb. in Sylhet hill forest of Bangladesh. Trees, Forests and People, 4 (2021), 100084. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tfp.2021.100084
5. Azad MS, Kamruzzaman M, Ahmed S, Kanzaki M. 2021. Litterfall assessment and reproductive phenology observation in the Sundarbans, Bangladesh: A comparative study among three mangrove species. Trees, Forests and People, 4 (2021), 100068. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tfp.2021.100068
6. Mollick AS, Sultana R, Azad MS, Khan MNI. 2021. Leaf morphological plasticity in three dominant tree species in the Sundarbans mangrove forest of Bangladesh in different salinity zones. Wetlands Ecology and Management, 29:265–279. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11273-020-09782-5
7. Ahmed S, Kamruzzaman M, Azad MS, Khan MNI. 2020. Fine root biomass and its contribution to the mangrove communities in three saline zones of Sundarbans, Bangladesh. Rhizosphere 17, 100294.
8. Khan MNI, Khatun S, Azad MS, Mollick AS. 2020. Leaf morphological and anatomical plasticity in Sundri (Heritiera fomes Buch.-Ham.) along different canopy light and salinity zones in the Sundarbans mangrove forest, Bangladesh. Global Ecology and Conservation 23, e01127
9. Azad MS, Kamruzzaman M, Paul SK, Kanzaki M. 2020. Litterfall release, vegetative, and reproductive phenology investigation of Heritiera fomes Buch-Ham in the Sundarbans mangrove forests, Bangladesh: relationship with environmental variables. Forest Science and Technology 16 (3), 105-115.
10. Azad MS, Kamruzzaman M, Paul SK, Ahmed S, Kanzaki M. 2020. Vegetative and reproductive phenology of the mangrove Xylocarpus mekongensis Pierre in the Sundarbans, Bangladesh: Relationship with climatic variables. Regional Studies in Marine Science 38, 101359
11. Islam MM, Chowdhury RM, Zaman AKMM, Rahman MS, Islam MN, Rudra AJ, Azad MS. 2020. Spatiotemporal mapping mangroves of Tengragiri wildlife sanctuary under Barguna district of Bangladesh using freely available satellite imagery. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment 6(2), 917-927
12. Khan MNI, Islam MR, Rahman A, Azad MS, Mollick AS, Kamruzzaman M. 2020. Allometric relationships of stand level carbon stocks to basal area, tree height and wood density of nine tree species in Bangladesh. Global Ecology and Conservation 22, e01025.
13. Azad MS, Kamruzzaman M, Osawa A. 2020. Quantification and understanding of above and belowground biomass in medium saline zone of the Sundarbans, Bangladesh: the relationships with forest attributes. Journal of Sustainable Forestry, 39(4): 331-345. https://doi.org/10.1080/10549811.2019.1664307
14. Azad MS, Kamruzzaman M, Osawa A. 2019. The influences of cyclone on abundance, species diversity and floristic composition in mangrove ecosystem in the Sundarbans, Bangladesh. Regional Studies in Marine Science 28 (2019) 100621
15. Kamruzzaman M, Paul SK, Ahmed S, Azad MS, Osawa A. 2019. Phenology and litterfall production of Bruguiera sexangula (Lour.) Poir. in the Sundarbans mangrove forests, Bangladesh. Forest Science and Technology, 15(3):165-172. https://doi.org/10.1080/21580103.2019.1638314
16. Khan MNI, Shil MC, Azad MS, Feroz SM, Mollick AS. 2018. Allometric relationships of stem volume and stand level carbon stocks at varying stand density in Swietenia macrophylla King plantations, Bangladesh. Forest Ecology and Management, 430 (2018) 639–648
17. Azad MS, Alam MJ, Mollick AS, Khan MNI. 2018. Rooting of cuttings of the wild Indian almond tree (Sterculia foetida) enhanced by the application of indole-3-butyric acid (IBA) under leafy and non-leafy conditions. Rhizosphere 5, 8-15
18. Azad MS, Sumon MMH. 2017. Species specific nodulation responses and biomass accumulation to seedling age of Dalbergia sissoo at nursery stage. Rhizosphere, 3: 132–137.
19. Azad MS, Alam MJ, Mollick AS, and Khan MNI. 2017. Rooting of cuttings of the wild Indian almond tree (Sterculia foetida) enhanced by the application of indole-3-butyric acid (IBA) under leafy and non-leafy conditions. Rhizosphere 5 (2018) 8–15
20. Azad MS, Sumon MMH. 2016. Species Specific Responses to Age on Nodule Formation, Seedling Growth, and Biomass Production of Acacia auriculiformis at Nursery Stage. Journal of Botany. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/6960783
21. Azad MS, Alam MJ, Mollick AS, and Matin MA. 2016. Responses of IBA on rooting, biomass production and survival of branch cuttings of Santalum album L., a wild threatened tropical medicinal tree species. Journal of Science, Technology and Environment Informatics. 3(2): 195-206.
22. Azad MS, Matin MA. 2015. Effect of indole-3-butyric acid on clonal propagation of Swietenia macrophylla through branch cutting. Journal of Botany. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/249308
23. Azad MS, Nahar N, Mollick AS, Matin MA. 2014. Variation in seedling growth of Tamarindus indica (L.): a threatening medicinal fruit tree species in Bangladesh. Journal of Ecosystem. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/270956.
24. Azad MS, Mondol S, Matin MA. 2013. Functional relationship of nodulation response and biomass production at nursery stages of two fast-growing, leguminous multipurpose tree species in Bangladesh: Albizia saman and leucaena leucocephala. Forest Science and Practice 15(4):274-285.
25. Azad MS, Nahar N, Matin MA. 2013. Effects of variation in seed sources and pre-sowing treatments on seed germination of Tamarindus indica: a multi-purpose tree species in Bangladesh. Forest Science and Practice 15(2): 121-129.
26. Azad MS. 2012. Observations on bud burst phenology in a field trial established with Poplar (Populus spp). Forestry Studies in China 14(4): 251 – 259.
27. Azad MS, Biswas RK, Matin MA. 2012. Seed germination of Albizia procera (Roxb.) Benth. in Bangladesh: a basis for seed source variation and pre-sowing treatment effect. Forestry Studies in China 14(2):124-130.
28. Azad MS, Manik MR, Hasan MS, Matin MA. 2011. Effect of different pre-sowing treatments on seed germination percentage and growth performance of Acacia auriculiformis. Journal of Forestry Research 22(2):183-188.
29. Azad MS, Rahman MT, Matin MA. 2011. Seed germination techniques of Phoenix dactylifera: a new experience from Bangladesh. Frontiers of Agriculture in China 5(2):241-246.
30. Azad MS, Musa ZA, Matin MA. 2010. Effect of pre-sowing treatments on seed germination of Melia azedarach. Journal of Forestry Research. 21(2):193-196.
31. Azad MS, Paul NK, Matin MA. 2010. Do pre-sowing treatments affect seed germination in Albizia richardiana and Lagerstroemia speciosa? Frontiers of Agriculture in China 4(2):181-184.
32. Azad MS, Matin, MA, Islam MW, Musa ZA. 2006. Effect of pre-sowing treatment on seed germination of lahakath (Xylia kerrii Craib & Hutch). Khulna University Studies, 7(2):33-36.
33. Mollick AS, Azad MS, Kyser MA. 2006. Impact of participatory forestry on community livelihoods: a case study in the degraded Sal (Shoera robusta) forest areas of Tangail and Mymenshing forest division, Bangladesh. South Asian Journal of Agriculture. 1(2): 24-27.
34. Azad MS, Islam MW, Matin MA, Bari MA. 2006. Effect of pre-sowing treatment on seed germination of Albizia lebbeck (L) Benth. South Asian Journal of Agriculture. 1(2): 32-34.
35. Matin, MA, Islam MS, Azad MS. 2006. Seed germination, seedling growth and rooting of branch cuttings of Dalbergia Sissoo (Roxb.). Khulna University Studies, 7(1st Research Cell Conference): 83-87.
36. Azad MS, Mollick AS, Biswas TK. 2006. Status and uses of medicinal plants in south western part of Bangladesh. Journal of subtropical Agricultural Research and Development. 4(1):90-97
37. Islam MW, Azad MS, Hassan MA, Mahfuz AA. 2006. A study on date palm (Phoenix sylvestris) based traditional agroforestry practice in Jessore district of Bangladesh. South Asian Journal of Agriculture. 1(1): 28-32.
38. Parvez MS, Sarker MS, Azad MS, Salequzzaman M. 2006. Effect of water quality, pond productivity and growth of carps in poly-culture system by using homestead organic wastage as pond manure. International Journal of Sustainable Agricultural Technology. 2(2): 45-50.
B. Book Chapter
39. Azad MS., 2018. Tamarindo—Tamarindus indica. In: Rodrigues, S., de Oliveira Silva, E., de Brito, E.S. (Eds.), Exotic Fruits. Academic Press, pp. 403-412.
40. Azad MS, Sarker BK and Matin MA. 2015. Species Selection and Nursery Technique Adoption for Seedling Establishment in Bangladesh — Towards Enhancing Plantation Programme, Precious Forests - Precious Earth, Dr. Miodrag Zlatic (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-2175-6, InTech, DOI: 10.5772/60912.