Soil, Water and Environment Discipline, Life Science Schoo, Khulna University,
Md. Sanaul Islam
Professor and Head
Aggregation, aggregate-carbon and aggregate-nutrient dynamics;
Assessment, evaluation, and improvement in soil fertility and productivity;
Assessment, monitoring, evaluation, and improvement in soil quality and soil health;
Estimation, evaluation, monitoring, controlling, and conservation of soil erosion and degradation;
Net primary productivity and nutrient dynamics of afforested lands.
Current Research Project/Collaboration
|SL||Title||Research Role||Awarded Date||Completion Date||Funding Agency|
|No Research Project Available|
The following information will depict a long experience of 20 years of research, review of scientific papers, thesis in soil, land use, soil erosion, soil degradation and soil management, cropping system/pattern and data management, etc.
Related to Land Degradation
Related to fertility and productivity loss
Research articles/projects/thesis reviewed
1. Interaction of salinity and calcareousness of soil on arsenic uptake by different rice varieties. Joint Venture project of Department of Soil, Water and Environment, University of Dhaka and Soil Science Discipline, University of Khulna.
2. Interaction of sodium on potassium uptake by rice in saline soils of tidal floodplain soils of Bangladesh. Joint Research Program of Soil Science Discipline, University of Khulna and Soil Resources Development Institute (SRDI), Bangladesh. Funded by SRDI.
3. Effect of cropping patterns on the physical quality of the soil. Funded by Soil Science Discipline, University of Khulna.
4. Determination of aggregate stability of soils of Gangetic alluvium of Bangladesh. Funded by Khulna University Research Cell.
5. Morphological and physical description of peat soils of Ganges River floodplain soils of Khulna (Phase I). Joint Research Program of Soil Science Discipline, University of Khulna and Soil Resources Development Institute (SRDI), Bangladesh. Funded by SRDI.
6. Assessment of spatial variability of soil physical, chemical and biological quality. Funded by University Grant Commission (UGC).
7. Production and characterization of Bloodmeal and evaluation of soil and plant benefit upon application. Funded by Khulna University Research Cell.
|SL||Title||Degree||Role||Start Date||End Date|
|No Supervision Available|
1. Islam, M.S., S.M. Ullah, A.B. Siddique and S.M.F. Rabbi. 2004. Remediation of Arsenic toxicity in rice plant: Effect of Arsenic and different amendments on growth of rice plant. Journal of Asiatic Society of Bangladesh Science, 30(2):49-54.
2. Rabbi, S.M.F., K.Q. Kibria, A. Rahman, M.S. Islam, M.R. Bhuiyan and M. Ahsan. 2004. Aggregate stability of Ganges tidal floodplain soils and its relationship with soil physical and chemical properties. Bangladesh Journal of Soil Science, 30(1-2): 61-69.
3. Rabbi, S.M.F., S.F. Elahi, M.M. Ahsan, K.Q. Kibria and M.S. Islam. 2004. Morphology, micromorphology and mineralogy of a pedon of Sara soil series (Fluvaquentic Endoaquept). Bangladesh Journal of Soil Science, 30(1-2): 9-17.
4. Rabbi, S.M.F., M.S. Islam, K.Q. Kibria, A. Rahman, M.J. Parveen, M. Ali and P. Mallic. 2005. Effect of salinity and potassium fertilizer application on potassium, sodium and calcium uptake by rice (Oryza sativa L.). Bangladesh Journal of Soil Science, 31(1-2): 13-19.
5. Rabbi, S.M.F., M.S. Amin,K.Q. Kibria,M.Z. Hossain, M.S. Islam and T. Khandakar. 2005. Short term effect of saline water application on some chemical properties of soils. Bangladesh Journal of Soil Science, 31(1-2): 45-53.
6. Rabbi, S.M.F., M. Ahsan, A. Rahman, M.S. Islam and K.Q. Kibria. 2006. Water stability of aggregates of two soils of Gangetic Alluvium and its relationship with field observed soil structure. Journal of Asiatic Society of Bangladesh Science, 32(1): 81-87.
7. Hasan, M.M., M. Hossain, S.H. Limon, M.S. Islam and M.N. Islam.2006. P, K and Na leaching from leaf litter of Meliaazedarach (Linn.). Khulna University Studies 7(2): 59-64.
8. Sarkar, K., M. Hossain, S.H. Limon and M.S. Islam. 2006. K and Na leaching from leaf litter of Acacia auriculifromis (CUNN. EX BENTH). Khulna University Studies, Special Issue (1st Research Cell Conference): 79-82.
9. Rabbi, S.M.F.,A. Rahman, M.S. Islam, K.Q. Kibria and S.M. ImamulHuq. 2007. Arsenic uptake by rice (Oryzasative L.) in relation to salinity and calcareousness in some soils of Bangladesh. Dhaka Univ. Journal of Biological Sciences, 16(1): 29-39.
10. Rabbi, S.M.F., M.S. Amin, M. Ahsan, M.S. Islam and T. Khandakar. 2008. Water stabilityof aggregates of some coastal saline sols of Bangladesh. Journal of Asiatic Society of Bangladesh Science, 34(2): 147-156.
11. Mahmood H, Limon SH, Rahman MS, Azad AK, Islam MS, Khairuzzaman M. 2009. Nutrients (N, P and K) dynamics associated with the leaf litter of two agroforestry tree species of Bangladesh. Journal of Biogeosciences and Forestry, 2:183-186.
12. Hossain, M.Z, S.M.F.Rabbi, S. Khanom,M.S. Amin, M.S. Islam and A. Rahaman. 2010. Effect of salinity and potassium fertilizer application on yield contributing characteristics of rice. Khulna University Studies,10(1&2): 145-152.
13. Rehana Sultana, Anisur Rahaman, Khandoker Qudrata Kibria, and Md. Sanaul Islam, and Md. Masudul Haque. 2012. Effect of Arsenic contaminated irrigation water on growth, yield, and nutrient accumulation of Vigna radiata. Indian Journal of Innovation and Development, 1(9): 682 –686.
14. Md. Masudul Haque, Md.Sanaul Islam, Md. SarwarJahan, and Md. Monirul Islam. 2013. Yield response of barley varieties under two different tillage conditions in moderately saline soils of Khulna. Research Desk, 2(3): 270 – 274.
15. Hossain, Mohammad Zaber, Md. Sanaul Islam, Md. Bappy Shahriar, Khandoker Qudrata Kibria, Md. AnisurRahman and Md. Abdul Jabbar. 2013. Effect of soil salinity-heavy metal interactions as evaluated by soil extraction and plant analysis. Khulna University Studies, 11 (1&2) and 12 (1&2): 247-249. (Short Communication).
16. Khandoker Qudrata Kibria, Sirajul Hoque, Md. Sanaul Islam and Mohammad Zaber Hossain. 2015. Effect of single and multiple water stress on agronomic parameters and grain nutrient content of rice. International Journal of Sustainable Agricultural Technology, 11(8): 07–11.
17. Alokesh Kumar Ghosh, Joyanta Bir, Md. AbulKalam Azad, Abul Farah Md. Hasanuzzaman, Md. Sanaul Islam and Khandaker Anisul Huq. 2016. Impact of commercial probiotics application on growth and production of giant freshwater prawn (MacrobrachiumRosenbergii De Man, 1879). Aquaculture Reports, 4:112–117.
18. Hossain, M.Z., S. Dey and M.S. Islam. 2018. Effect of arsenic on Amaranthus gangeticus. Bangladesh Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 53(4): 259-164.
19. Masud, M.M., A.K. Azad and M.S. Islam. 2018. The Challenges of Sediment Management in Tidal Basin: Application of Indigenous Knowledge for Tidal River Management in Southwest Coastal Bangladesh. People’s Preface: A Journal of Research Initiatives, Special Issue 01, 1: 217-237.
20. Biswas, P., M.S. Islam, A.B. Siddique, and M. Halder. 2020. Organic carbon content and Fe-organo association in soils under rice dominant cropping system in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Botany, 49(1): 185-190.
21. Faisal, N.A., Shoumik, B.A.A and M. S. Islam. 2020. Evaluation of soil salinity in Batiaghata upazila. International Journal of Engineering Applied Sciences and Technology, 4(10):16-18.
22. Shoumik, B.A.A. and M. S. Islam. 2020. Soil erosion and its effects on maize field as modified by amendments in southwestern coastal Bangladesh. International Journal of Environment, 9(2): 120-132. https://doi.org/10.3126/ije.v9i2.32539
23. Zaman, S.M.S. and M.S. Islam. 2021.
Micronutrient status of Tista meander floodplain soils under major cropping
patterns in Mithapukur upazila. Tropical Agroecosysems, 2(1): 37- 43. https://doi.org/10.26480/taec.01.2021.37.43
24. Shoumik B.A.A. and M.S. Islam. 2023.
Vertical distribution of soil aggregates and associated carbon fractions under
conventional vegetable- and rice-based tillage operations. Soil Research
61(1): 83-93 https://doi.org/10.1071/SR22069
25. Shoumik B.A.A. Khan, M.Z. and M.S. Islam. 2023. Spatio-temporal
characteristics of meteorological and agricultural drought indices and their
dynamic relationships during the pre-monsoon season in the drought-prone region of
Bangladesh. Environmental Challenges 11:1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envc.2023.100695