+88 01711 985472
Architecture Discipline, KU
Dr. Kh. Mahfuz-ud-Darain
Award and Scholarship:
1. GRAS scholarship to pursue PhD study in University of Malaya, Malaysia
2. Research Assistantship of project “Strengthening structural elements for load and fatigue”. Funding body: Ministry of Higher Education, High Impact research Grant (HIR-D000036) Malaysia
3. Erasmus Mundus Scholarship (EC funded) to pursue Masters Study in University of Minho, Portugal
4. BITR Scholarship to pursue B.Sc. Engg. (Civil) in RUET, Bangladesh
Worked as an Erasmus Mundus Scholar in Conservation and strengthening of historical constructions, repair and strengthening of Don Zamero bridge, Portugal (Constructed in Roman era). Performed Characterization and Thermo-mechanical analysis of fibrous lime mortar in Historical roof tiles with FINITE ELEMNT Software.
Speaker and Trainer in Seminar and Workshop:
- Resource person in Webinar on Climate –Smart Brick, Rural Industry and Agribusiness on 16 August 2022 organized by Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.
- Scholar talk to Linkwith Research and Training Centre, Malaysia on 2nd April, 2021
- Speech to “The First Annual General Assembly of Climate Heritage Network (CHN)”, USA (online) 16th November, 2020
- Keynote speaker of International Seminar-Workshop on “Climate Change Impact and Cultural Heritage” Bangladesh February, 2019
- “Overview of Preservation and Conservation of Heritage Structures” and “Modern Technical Approaches of Conservation” organized by office of the Regional Director, Khulna Department of Archeology (DoA) on 18th March, 2018
- “Conservation and Preservation of Heritage Structures” organized by Seminar series of Architecture Discipline, Khulna University on 19th October, 2017
- “Structural Strengthening of Heritage Structures” organized by office of the Regional Director, Khulna Department of Archeology (DoA) on 1st June, 2017
1. Consultant from Research and Design Consultancy Unit (RDCU) of ArchKU to conduct feasibility study of a public square of KDA Khulna
2. Lead Consultant from Khulna University for Feasibility Study of Infrastructure Development of Khulna City Corporation
3. National Consultant of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) for developing Full Concept Note (CN) and Project Preparation Facility (PPF) for Green Climate Fund (GCF) Projects under" Resilience and Inclusive Cluster”
4. External Consultant for NGO Forum for Public Health
(Structural Strengthening and Material) (University of Malaya-UM, Malaysia)
2. Masters (Structural Analysis of Monuments and Historical Constructions-SAHC) (University of Minho, Portugal and Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic)
3. B.Sc. in Civil Engineering (Rajshahi University of Engineering &Technology-RUET, Bangladesh)
· Heritage conservation
Climate Change impact on Cultural Heritage
· Heritage Documentation
· Structural strengthening materials characterization
· Structural assessment using numerical analysis (e.g. Finite Element method)
· Structural behaviour of RC member
Current Research Project/Collaboration
|SL||Title||Research Role||Awarded Date||Completion Date||Funding Agency|
|1||Preserving Legacies: A Future for our Past in Historic Mosque City of Bagerhat||Co-Principal Investigator||February 2023||February 2024||International|
|2||Investigation of Colonial Heritage Buildings in Khulna City||Co-Principal Investigator||December 2021||February 2024||National|
|3||Assessment of the climate change impacts on world heritage structures: A case study on Khalifatabad city in Bagerhat.||Principal Investigator||June 2017||June 2022||National|
|4||Determination of the causes, magnitude and remedies for salinity problems in building Materials of coastal regions in Bangladesh||Co-Principal Investigator||July 2004||July 2006||National|
1. Professor - Architecture Discipline, Khulna University, 2014-present date
2. Associate Professor - Architecture Discipline, Khulna University, 2009 - 2014
3. Assistant Professor - Architecture Discipline, Khulna University, 2004 - 2009
4. Lecturer - Architecture Discipline, Khulna University, 2002 - 2004
- Chairman, Khulna University development work monitoring committee
- Director, Research and Design Consultancy Unit (RDCU) of Architecture Discipline, Khulna University (ArchKU)
- Editor, Khulna University Studies Journal
- Member, Research Advisory Committee (RAC) of Khulna University
- Member, e-GP Tender Evaluation Committee, Khulna University of Engineering & Technology (KUET)
- Member, Planning Development and Works Committee, Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science & Technology University
- Research Coordinator of Architecture Discipline (ArchKU)
- Ex Member, Technical Consultant of Tender Evaluation Committee, Engineering Department, Khulna University
Other Professional Affiliations:
1. Steering Committee Member, Climate Heritage Network (CHN)
2. General Secretary, ICOMOS Bangladesh
3. Member, International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS)
4. Contact person Bangladesh National Committee of ICOMOS Climate Action Working Group (CAWG)
5. Member of the International Co-Sponsored Meeting on Culture, Heritage and Climate Change (ICSM-CHC) organized by UNESCO, IPCC and ICOMOS
6. International technical committee member of ICOMOS International Scientific Committee on Fortification and Military Heritage (ICOFORT)
7. Vice Chairman of Khulna University chapter of BdSTEM (KUbdSTEM)
8. Reviewer of journal “Journal of cleaner production” (Elsevier Publishers), “Materials Research Innovations” (Maney Publishers), “Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews” (Elsevier Publishers), “Structural Engineering and Mechanics” (Technopress Publishers)
9. Life Fellow of Institute of Engineers (IEB), Bangladesh
Publications (Selected Peer-reviewed Journal):
1. Shahriar, A. T. M., & Mahfuz-ud-Darain, K. (2022). Faecal sludge management practice in informal settlements of Bangladesh. Sustinere: Journal of Environment and Sustainability, 6(3), 197-213.
2. Darain, K. M., Hossain, M. A., Jumaat, M. Z., & Arifuzzaman, M. (2022). Prediction of Deflection Behavior of NSM Strengthened Reinforced Concrete Beam Using Fuzzy Logic. Selected Scientific Papers-Journal of Civil Engineering, 17(1), 1-10.
3. Debnath, N., Darain, K.M. & Mow, N. (2022). SPATIAL ASPECT OF THE WASTEWATER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM: A CASE STUDY OF KHALISHPUR, KHULNA. Khulna University Studies, 397-407.
4. Shahriar, A. T. M., Darain, K.M. & Islam, M. T. (2022). TOWARDS ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE FAECAL SLUDGE MANAGEMENT IN INFORMAL SETTLEMENTS OF BANGLADESH: A CONTEXT-SENSITIVE MODEL. Khulna University Studies, 104-119.
5. M A Hosen, U J Alengaram, M Z Jumaat, N H Sulong, Darain, K.M. (2017) Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer (GFRP) Bars for Enhancing the Flexural Performance of RC Beams Using Side-NSM Technique. Polymers 9: 5. 180.
6. Huda, M. N., Jumaat, M. Z., Islam, A B M, Darain, K M, Obaydullah, M, Hosen, M A (2017) Palm oil industry's bi-products as coarse aggregate in structural lightweight concrete. COMPUTERS AND CONCRETE 9: 5. 515-526.
7. Obaydullah, M., Jumaat, M. Z., Alengaram, U. J., Darain, K. M., Huda, M. N., & Hosen, M. A. (2016). Prestressing of NSM steel strands to enhance the structural performance of prestressed concrete beams. Construction and Building Materials, 129, 289-301.
8. Darain, K.M., Jumaat, M. Z., Shukri, A. A., Obaydullah, M., Huda, M. N., Hosen, M. A., & Hoque, N. (2016). Strengthening of RC Beams Using Externally Bonded Reinforcement Combined with Near-Surface Mounted Technique. Polymers, 8(7), 261.
9. Akter Hosen, M., Jumaat, M. Z., Saiful Islam, A. B. M., Obaydullah, M., Darain, K.M., & Huda, N. (2016). Investigation on energy absorption capacity of reinforced concrete beams by the near-surface mounted technique using ductile materials. Science of Advanced Materials, 8(8), 1536-1546.
10. MdAkter Hosen, MohdZaminJumaat, A B M Saiful Islam, Kh Mahfuz ud Darain, MdMoshiur Rahman (2015) Flexural Performance of Reinforced Concrete Beams Strengthened by a New Side Near-Surface Mounted Technique Using Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Bars: Experimental and Analytical Investigation. Science of Advanced Materials 7: 1-15.
11. Kh Mahfuz ud Darain, SahaboddinShamshirband, MohdZaminJumaat, M Obaydullah (2015) Adaptive Neuro Fuzzy Prediction of Deflection and Cracking Behavior of NSM Strengthened RC Beams. Construction and Building Materials. Elsevier Publication. 98: 276-285.
12. Ahmad Azim Shukri, Kh Mahfuz ud Darain, MohdZaminJumaat (2015) The Tension-Stiffening Contribution of NSM CFRP to the Behavior of Strengthened RC Beams. Materials. MDPI Publishers. Vol. 8: No. 7. pp. 4131-4146.
13. Kh Mahfuz ud Darain, MohdZaminJumaat, A B M Saiful Islam, M Obaydullah, Asif Iqbal, Md Ibrahim Adham, MdMoshiur Rahman (2015) Energy efficient brick kilns for sustainable environment. Desalination and Water Treatment. Taylor and Francis Publishers. pp. 1-10.
14. K M Darain, M Z Jumaat, M A Hossain, M A Hosen, M Obaydullah, M N Huda, I Hossain (2015) Automated serviceability prediction of NSM strengthened structure using a fuzzy logic expert system. Expert Systems with Applications. Elsevier Publication. Vol. 42: No.1. pp. 376-389.
15. A B M Saiful Islam, MohdZaminJumaat, K M Darain (2015) Retrofitting of vulnerable RC structures by base isolation technique. Earthquakes and Structures. Techno Press Publishers.
16. K.M. Darain, M.Z. Jumaat, S.M. Nazimuddina , A. Ahsan, M.M.A. Aziz, R. Rashid, M. Obaydullah , A.B.M.S. Islam (2015) A Review of Corrosion Behavior of Metallic Heritage Structures and Artefacts. JurnalTeknologi. Vol. 77, No. 1.
17. A B M Saiful Islam, Syed Ishtiaq Ahmad, MohdZaminJumaat, Raja Rizwan Hussain, Mohammed AshiqurRehman, K M Darain (2014) Efficient Design in Building Construction with Rubber Bearing in Medium Risk Seismicity: Case Study & Assessment. Journal of Civil Engineering and Management. Taylor and Francis Publishers. Vol. 20: pp. 1-11.
18. K M Darain, A Ahsan, A B M S Islam, M Obaydullah, R S M Rashid (2014) Investigating the deterioration of an industrial heritage structure. Int. J. Sustainable Materials and Structural Systems. Vol. 1: No. 3. p. 282-302.
19. A B M S Islam, R R Hussain, M Z Jumaat, K M Darain (2014) Implication of rubber- steel bearing nonlinear models on soft story structures. Computers and Concrete. Techno Press Publishers.Vol. 13: No. 5. p. 563-579.
20. Amimul Ahsan, NurSyuhada, Eden Jolhi, K M Darain, Md K Rowshon, MdJakariya, SuhaidiShafie, Abdul H Ghazali (2014) Assessment of Distillate Water Quality Parameters Produced by Solar Still for Potable Usage. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin. Parlar Scientific Publications. Vol. 23: No. 3a. p. 859-866.
21. K M Darain, A Ahsan, A B M S Islam (2013) Assessing Structural Damages of a Heritage Building. Research in Civil and Environmental Engineering. Vol. 1: No. 4. p. 226-233. ISSN 2345-3109.
22. K M Darain, A B M S Rahman, A Ahsan, A B M S Islam, B Yusuf (2013) Brick Manufacturing Practice in Bangladesh: A Review of Energy Efficacy and Air Pollution Scenarios. Journal of Hydrology and Environment Research. Vol. 1: No. 1. p. 60-69. ISSN 2201-7313.
23. H Rahman, K M Darain (2007) A Description of Buildings in Khalifatabad City, Bagerhat. Protibesh. Vol. 11: No. 1. p. 17-22. ISSN 1812-8068.
24. A K M K Islam, K M Darain (2006) Causes and magnitude of Dampness in buildings of Coastal Region in Bangladesh. KU Studies. Special Edition: pp. 07-14. ISSN 1563-0897.
25. B BSarma, K M Darain (2006) BPRI (Burnt-Pot Roof Insulation), the novel method of roof insulation in Bangladesh. KU Studies. Special Edition: pp.01-05. ISSN-1563-0897.
1. Sadiquzzaman, Md., Darain, K.M., Hossain, M.A. (2022) Exploring Urban Heat Island Effects in Khulna City and Its Adaptive Measures. The 4th International Conference on Energy and Power (ICEP2022), Edited by Military Institute of Science & Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh
2. Darain, K.M. (2022) The Opportunities and Challenges of Fourth Industrial Revolution in Sustainable Construction Industry. The International Conference on 4IR for the Emerging Future-2022. Organized by the Science and Technology Sub-Committee of Bangladesh Awami League.
3. Kh Mahfuz ud Darain, M Z Jumaat, M Obaydullah, MdNazmul Huda (2015) Experimental investigation of near surface mounted RC beams with advanced strengthening materials. In: First International Conference on Advances in Civil Infrastructure and Construction Materials (CICM 2015) Editedby:Dr. Md. Jahidul Islam, Dr. Sakil Ahmed, Dr. Russedul Islam and Kamrul Islam. Military Institute of Science and Technology (MIST), Mirpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
4. Kh Mahfuz ud Darain, MdAltab Hossain, M Z Jumaat, M Obaydullah (2015) Application of fuzzy logic for deflection prediction of near surface mounted RC beams In: First International Conference on Advances in Civil Infrastructure and Construction Materials (CICM 2015) Edited by:Dr. Md. Jahidul Islam, Dr. Sakil Ahmed, Dr. Russedul Islam and Kamrul Islam. Military Institute of Science and Technology (MIST), Mirpur, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
5. MohdZaminJumaat, MdAkter Hosen, Kh MahfuzUdDarain, M Obaydullah (2015) Innovative End Anchorage for Preventing Concrete Cover Separation of NSM Steel and CFRP bars Strengthened RC Beams In: The Sixth Jordanian International Civil Engineering Conference. Edited by: Mohammed Al-Ali. Jordan Engineers Association, Amman, JORDAN: Jordan Engineers Association.
6. MohdZaminJumaat, MdAkter Hosen, Kh Mahfuz Ud Darain, M Obaydullah (2015) Behavior of RC Beams Strengthened with NSM Steel and CFRP Bars In: The Sixth Jordanian International Civil Engineering Conference. Edited by:Mohammed Al-Ali. Jordan Engineers Association, Amman, JORDAN: Jordan Engineers Association.
7. M Obaydullah, MohdZaminJumaat, MdAshrafulAlam, Kh Mahfuz ud Darain, MdAkter Hosen (2014) L Shaped End Anchors to Eliminate Premature Plate End Debonding in Strengthened RC Beams In: IWCEA-2014, International Workshop on Civil Engineering and Architecture. KOC UNIVERSITY, Istanbul-Turkey: Scientific Cooperations Publications.
8. M Obaydullah, MohdZaminJumaat, K M Darain, MdAkter Hosen (2014) Intermediate Anchorage to Prevent Premature Intermediate Crack Induced Debonding in CFRP Strengthened RC Beams In: 3rd Asian Conference on Civil, Material and Environmental Sciences. Edited by:JonathanDamiani. Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan: Higher Education Forum.
9. MdAkter Hosen, MohdZaminJumaat, K M Darain, M Obaydullah, A B M Saiful Islam (2014) Flexural Strengthening of RC Beams with NSM Steel Bars. In: IICBE International Conference (FAB-2014). Edited by:P.S. Sandhu and Md. Aminur Rahman.. pp. 13-18 International Institute of Chemical, Biological & Environment Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: ISBN- 978-93-82242-98-7.
10. K M Darain, M Z Jumaat, M Obaydullah, M A Hosen, M M Rahman, A Alam (2014) Anchorage Performance of Externally Bonded RC Beam with Genetic Algorithm Optimization In: 2nd International Conference on Civil Engineering for Sustainable Development (ICCESD-2014), 14-16 February, 2014. Edited by:Q.S. Hossain, K.M.S. Islam, M.H. Rashid, K.M. Hassan, M.S. Ali, M. Rokonuzzaman and A.Z. Morshed. p. 1375-1382 Department of Civil Engineering, Khulna University of Engineering and Technology, (KUET), Khulna-9203, Bangladesh.
11. M S Rahman, K M Darain, A F M A Alam (2009) Waste Generation Scenario of Fish Processing Industries In: International Conference on Solid Waste Management - WasteSafe 2009. Edited by:MAlamgir, QS Hossain, QH Bari, IM Rafizul, KMM Hasan, G Sarkar & MK Howlader. 377-385. Khulna University of Engineering & Technology Khulna, Bangladesh: ISBN: 978-984-33-0761-3.
12. A K M K Islam, K M Darain (2006) Adoption of sustainable building materials to cope with the dampness in coastal region of Bangladesh. In: First Khulna University Research Cell Conference, Khulna University, Khulna-9208, Bangladesh.
Intended Learning Outcomes
At the end of this course, students will able to -
Sustainable Design Method
This course gives students the opportunity to further
explore specific issues and topics in sustainable building technology. The
course will present precedent projects and case studies and ask students to
undertake projects that deal with strategies for sustainable building design.
1. To explore issues and topics in sustainable building technology
Intended Learning Outcomes:
The students can expect to-1. Generalize the strategies for sustainable building design with detail case studies. Running
- Architectural Conservation
- Sustainable Design Method