Economics Discipline Khulna University-9208 Bangladesh
Md. Nasif Ahsan, Ph.D.
Scopus Profile | Web of Science Profile | ORCID Profile | Google Scholar | Loop Profile
- Ph.D. in Disaster Management (with Policy Study) from National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS), Tokyo, Japan in 2016.
- MSc. in International Development Studies from Wageningen University, the Netherlands in 2010.
- BSS (Hons) in Economics from Khulna University, Bangladesh in 2003.
Natural Hazards | Climate Change | Disaster Risk Reduction | Socio-ecological Issues | Microeconomics
Scopus Profile | Web of Science Profile | ORCID Profile | Google Scholar Profile | Loop Profile
Current Research Project/Collaboration
1. Dean, Social Science School, Khulna University, Bangladesh (March 05, 2021 to March 04, 2023)
2. Head, Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh (March 03, 2019 to March 02, 2022)
3. Professor, Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh (Jul 2016 to date)
4. Research Assistant; International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM),Tsukuba, Japan (October 2013 to Sep 2016)
5. Associate Professor, Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh (July 2012 to July 2016)
6. Assistant Professor, Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh (July 2008 to July 2012)
7. Lecturer, Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh, July 2005 till July 2008)
1. Khatun, F., Ahsan, M. N., Afrin, S., Warner, J., Ahsan, R., Mallick, B., & Kumar, P. (2022). Environmental non-migration as adaptation in hazard-prone areas: Evidence from coastal Bangladesh. Global Environmental Change, 77, 102610. doi:10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2022.102610
2. Ahsan, M. N., Khatun, F., Islam, M. S., Hossain, M. S., Mou, B. H., & Kumar, P. (2022). Assessment of household-level adaptation strategies to water stress in southwestern coastal Bangladesh: a counter-factual analysis. Water Policy. doi:10.2166/wp.2022.064
3. Ahsan, M. N., Khatun, F., Kumar, P., Dasgupta, R., Johnson, B., & Shaw, R. (2022). Promise, premise, and reality: the case of voluntary environmental non-migration despite climate risks in coastal Bangladesh. Regional Environmental Change. doi:10.1007/s10113-021-01864-1
4. Biswas, B., Mallick, B., Ahsan, M. N., & Priodarshini, R. (2021). How Does the Rohingya Influx Influence the Residential Satisfaction and Mobility Intentions of the Host Communities in Bangladesh? Journal of International Migration and Integration. doi:10.1007/s12134-021-00886-2
5. Mohibbullah, M., Gain, A. K., & Ahsan, M. N. (2021). Examining local institutional networks for sustainable disaster management: Empirical evidence from the South-West coastal areas in Bangladesh. Environmental Science & Policy, 124, 433-440. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2021.07.016
6. Ahsan, M. N., Hadiujjaman, S., Islam, M. S., Nasrin, N., Akter, M., Parvin, G. A., & Hossain, M. S. (2021). Willingness to pay for improved safe drinking water in a coastal urban area in Bangladesh. Water Policy. doi:10.2166/wp.2021.031
7. Biswas, B., Ahsan, M. N., & Mallick, B. (2021). Analysis of residential satisfaction: An empirical evidence from neighbouring communities of Rohingya camps in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. PloS one, 16(4), e0250838. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0250838
8. Islam, M. S., Tumpa, S., Afrin, S., Ahsan, M. N., Haider, M. Z., & Das, D. K. (2021). From over to optimal irrigation in paddy production: what determines over-irrigation in Bangladesh? Sustainable Water Resources Management, 7(3), 35. doi:10.1007/s40899-021-00512-0
9. Biswas, B., Sultana, Z., Priovashini, C., Ahsan, M. N., & Mallick, B. (2021). The emergence of residential satisfaction studies in social research: A bibliometric analysis. Habitat International, 109, 102336. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.habitatint.2021.102336
10. Kumar, P., Avtar, R., Dasgupta, R., Johnson, B. A., Mukherjee, A., Ahsan, M. N., . . . Mishra, B. K. (2020). Socio-hydrology: A key approach for adaptation to water scarcity and achieving human well-being in large riverine islands. Progress in Disaster Science, 100134. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pdisas.2020.100134
11. Ahsan, M. N., & Khatun, A. (2020). Fostering disaster preparedness through community radio in cyclone-prone coastal Bangladesh. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 101752, 49. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2020.101752
12. Islam, M. S., Ferdousy, S., Afrin, S., Ahsan, M. N., Haider, M. Z., & Das, D. K. (2020). How does farmers' field schooling impact eco-efficiency? Empirical evidence from paddy farmers in Bangladesh. China Agricultural Economic Review, ahead-of-print(ahead-of-print).DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/CAER-12-2018-0239
13. Islam, M. S., Afrin, S., Das, D. K., & Ahsan, M. N. (2020). The strategic interplay in academia: administrators versus students. Journal of Modelling in Management. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/JM2-05-2019-0113
14. Ahsan, M. N., Khatun, A., Islam, M. S., Vink, K., Ohara, M., & Fakhruddin, B. S. H. M. (2020). Preferences for improved early warning services among coastal communities at risk in cyclone prone south-west region of Bangladesh. Progress in Disaster Science, 5, 100065. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pdisas.2020.100065
15. Islam, M. S., Afrin, S., Ahsan, M. N., Haider, M. Z., Mamun, T. M., & Das, D. K. (2019). Households’ Willingness to Pay for Disaster Resilient Safe Drinking Water Sources in Southwestern Coastal Bangladesh. International Journal of Disaster Risk Science, DOI: 10.1007/s13753-019-00229-x
16. Vink, K., & Ahsan, M. N. (2018). The benefits of cyclones: A valuation approach considering ecosystem services. Ecological Indicators, 95, 260-269. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2018.07.035
17. Ahsan, M. N. (2017). Can Strategies to Cope with Hazard Shocks be Explained by At-Risk Households’ Socioeconomic Asset Profile? Evidence from Tropical Cyclone-Prone Coastal Bangladesh. International Journal of Disaster Risk Science, 8(1). DOI:10.1007/s13753-017-0119-8
18. Vink, K., Ahsan, M. N., Sawano, H., & Ohara, M. (2017). Global Water-Related Risk Indicators: Meta-Analysis of Indicator Requirements. Journal of Disaster Research, 12(2), 355-367. DOI:10.20965/jdr.2017.p0355
19. Ahsan, M. N., Takeuchi, K., Vink, K., & Ohara, M. (2016). A systematic review of the factors affecting the cyclone evacuation decision process in Bangladesh. Journal of Disaster Research, 11(4), 742-753. DOI:10.20965/jdr.2016.p0742
20. Ahsan, M. N., Takeuchi, K., Vink, K., & Warner, J. (2016). Factors Affecting the Evacuation Decisions of Coastal Households during Cyclone Aila in Bangladesh. Environmental Hazards, 15(1), 16-42. DOI:10.1080/17477891.2015.1114912
21. Ahsan, M. N., & Warner, J. (2014). The Socioeconomic Vulnerability Index: A Pragmatic Approach for Assessing Climate Change led Risks-A Case Study in the South-western Coastal Bangladesh. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 8, 32-49. DOI:10.1016/j.ijdrr.2013.12.009
22. Ahsan, M. N. (2014). Effects of Livelihood Strategies on Mangrove-forest Resource: Do the Consumption Behaviour of Households Jeopardise the Forest Resource Base? Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal, 25(6), 696-711. DOI:10.1108/MEQ-05-2013-0048
23. Ahsan, M. N., Nasrin, N., Gazi, M. R., & Ahmed, M. F. (2013). Effects of Climate Induced Vulnerability on the Household Consumption Expenditure: Evidences from the South western Region Bangladesh. Plan Plus, 6, 26-42.
24. Ahsan, M. N., Nasrin, N., Akter, A., & Hashem, T. (2011). Foreign Aid, Corruption and Economic Development: An Empirical Analysis on Selected Asian and African Countries. Journal of Innovation and Development Strategies, 5(3), 1-8.
25. Ahsan, M. N., Ahmed, M. F., Nasrin, N., & Bappy, M. H. (2011). Climate change induced vulnerability on living standard- A study on south-western coastal region of Bangladesh. Journal of Innovation and Development Strategy, 5(3), 24-28.
26. Ahsan, M. N., & Haque, R. (2010). Climate change and income inequality: A study on some selected areas of coastal region in Bangladesh. Journal of Socioeconomic Research and Development, 7(2), 830-836.
27. Ahsan, M. N. (2008). The construction of Khan Jahan Ali Bridge: Its effects on income and household ownership patterns during different time periods. Business Review, 6(1), 19-28.
28. Siddiqua, T., & Ahsan, M. N. (2006). Major problems and prospects of Mongla seaport. Journal of the Institute of Bangladesh Studies, 24, 25-46.
29. Ahsan, M. N., & Siddiqua, T. (2005). Mongla seaport: Trade trends and efficiency. Business Review, 4(1), 63-73.
1. Akter, R., Akter, M., Hossain, M. T., & Ahsan, M. N. (2021). Socio-environmental factors affecting mental health of people during COVID-19 in coastal urban areas of Bangladesh. In A. L. Ramanathan, C. Sabarathinam, M. P. Jonathan, M. V. Prasanna, P. Kumar, & F. Arriola (Eds.), Environmental Resilience and Transformation in times of COVID-19 (1st ed., pp. 436). doi:10.1016/C2020-0-02703-9
2. 2. Lima, T. R., Ela, M. Z., Khan, L., Shovo, T.-E. A., Hossain, M. T., Jahan, N., . . .Ahsan, M. N., Islam, M. N. (2021). Chapter30 - Livelihood and health vulnerabilities of forest resource-dependent communities amidst the COVID-19 pandemic in southwestern regions of Bangladesh. In A. L. Ramanathan, C. Sabarathinam, F. Arriola, M. V. Prasanna, P. Kumar, & M. P. Jonathan (Eds.), Environmental Resilience and Transformation in Times of COVID-19 (pp. 343-356): Elsevier.
3. Ahsan, M. N., Vink, K., & Takeuchi, K. (2017). Livelihood Strategies and Resource Dependency Nexus in the Sundarbans. In R. DasGupta & R. Shaw (Eds.), Participatory Mangrove Management in a Changing Climate: Perspectives from the Asia-Pacific (pp. 137-160). Tokyo: Springer Japan; doi: 10.1007/978-4-431-56481-2_9.
4. Ahsan, M. N., Vink, K., & Takeuchi, K. (forthcoming). Disaster preparedness in cyclone prone areas: Lessons and experiences from coastal Bangladesh. In J. McGlown (Eds.), Case Studies in Disaster Preparedness. Elsevier.
Conference Papers and Poster
1. Dasgupta, R., Kumar, P., Ahsan, M. N., Basu, M., Mitra, B. K., & Pal, I. (2021). An investigation into the socio-psychological manifestations of water insecurity: The post-Amphan scenario in the Sundarban delta. Paper presented at the 2nd International Symposium on Disaster Resilience and Sustainable Development, Bangkok. Online retrieved from http://www.disaster-sustainability.org/
2. Vink, K., Ahsan, M. N., Gul, A. A., & Kilolu, L. (2020, 24 November). Synergies and drawbacks of applying Green Infrastructure to increase resilience against epidemics. Paper presented at the Joint International Resilience Conference [Online].
3. Ahsan, M. N., Saifullah, & Islam, M.S. (2019, 12-14 January). The Social Capital and Livelihood Recovery Nexus After Cyclone Aila: A Study in The Southwestern Coastal Bangladesh. Paper presented at the International Conference on Disaster Risk Management, Dhaka. Available at https://jidpus.buet.ac.bd/ICDRM2019/proceedings
4. Ahsan, M. N., Takeuchi, K., & Vink, K. (2016, 27-29 January). The challenges and opportunities of early warning messages aimed at evacuation compliance: A case report following Cyclone Aila in Bangladesh. A Poster presented at the UNISDR Science and Technology Conference on the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, Geneva. Available at https://www.preventionweb.net/files/45270_137.pdf
5. Ahsan, M. N., & Takeuchi, K. (2016, 05-09 June). How does hazard-preparedness training enhance resilience for household at risk? Paper presented at the The 7th International Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research, Kyoto.
6. Vink, K., Ahsan, M. N., & Sawano, H. (2016, 05-09 June). The Benefits of Cyclones as Ecosystem Services. Paper presented at the The 7th International Conference on Water Resources and Environment Research, Kyoto.
7. Ahsan, M. N., & Takeuchi, K. (2015, 14-16 March). How do people decide to evacuate or not? A case report from the cyclone Aila. Paper presented at the UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, Sendai.
8. Haider, M. Z., Mohsin, K. F., & Ahsan, M. N. (2011, 23-24 February). Structural Changes of the Industrial Sector: A Study on the South-West Region of Bangladesh. Paper presented at the National Conference on Contemporary Issues in Economics, Sylhet.
1. Doctoral Study
Ahsan, M. N. (2016). Disaster Preparedness at Household and Community Levels: The Case of Cyclone Prone Coastal Bangladesh. National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS), Tokyo. Doi: 10.24545/00001522
2. MSc. Study
Ahsan, M. N. (2010). Climate change and socioeconomic vulnerability: experiences and lessons from south-western coastal Bangladesh. (MSc. International Development Studies), Wageningen University Library, Wageningen. Retrieved from http://edepot.wur.nl/146194
Climate Change and Disaster Management
Economics of Climate Change
- Climate Change and Disaster Management
- Economics of Climate Change